Image of an infant's foot with a hospital bracelet. Text that reads

A birth certificate does not establish a legal parent-child relationship. In order to establish legal parentage in California, parents must complete a Voluntary Declaration of Parentage with the Parentage Opportunity Program OR obtain a judgment in court.

Vital Records for the State of California handles birth certificates and amendments, and they require proof of a parentage establishment. A filed Voluntary Declaration of Parentage may be used as proof of parentage.

For more information about birth certificates, please contact the California Department of Public Health, Vital Records by calling (916) 445-2684 or by emailing