In California, Family Code §7571(f) provides a list of authorized agencies that are qualified to witness a Voluntary Declaration of Parentage, including:
- Hospitals – At the time of birth
- County Offices of Registrar of Births and Deaths – Vital Records
- Courts – Family Law Facilitator
- Notary public
- County Welfare Departments – Health and Human Services Agency
- County Child Support Agency Offices
When signing a Declaration outside of California, a notary public* is the only authorized witness. A Declaration must be completed and signed by both parents with signatures properly witnessed and filed with the Parentage Opportunity Program before legal parentage is established.
*A notary public may charge a fee for services.